In December, there were 1610 visits to the Brown Hill Community Pool (403 adults and 1207 children). January figures are already looking strong! We will report the numbers at the end of the month.
The VicSWIM program was lots of fun for the families involved. Thanks to the Brown Hill Uniting Church for funding each child for one week of lessons. Thanks also to volunteer Vince for being an excellent Milo Man!
Aquatic Zumba started on Monday 22 January, with 53 people getting splashy with it! Flo will be in the pool at 6.00 pm each Monday until the end of February. $2 entry per person (except season pass holders).
On Australia Day, the pool was flat out (until an enormous thunderstorm came in around 4.00 pm). Thanks to all of the local businesses that donated prizes for our raffle. Here are the results:
- 2018-19 Brown Hill Pool Pass (Brown Hill Progress Association), $130 - Jack S
- Hamper of goodies donated by various groups, $40 - Lily M
- Grounded Pleasures pack (exquisite drinking chocolate), $20 - Winnie
- AFL Store voucher, $20 - The Kales family
- Early Childhood Resources set, $20 - The Zuidland family
- The Littlest J, two pairs of Australia Earrings. $20 - Millie
Glenn and Kerryn from Bakers Delight Bakery Hill, donated all of the bread for the BBQ, in addition to product vouchers valued at around $5 each, which were also handed out on the day.
On our official opening weekend (December 2 and 3), I looked out of the window and thought, "Please come back Summer! Here we are, all ready for our opening and we have a top of 15 degrees and it is cold and wet." After I turned on the heater, I thought, "Nothing we can do and the heat will come back. It always does." And it has!
On Saturday 10 December, we opened the pool for the 2017/18 season. Over the opening weekend, approximately 40 people visited the pool.
Here is the latest pool news:
- The kiosk has been cleaned and stocked and is ready to go thanks to Rachel, our new volunteer kiosk manager, and Liz, our former volunteer kiosk manager. They had great help from a great team of lolly baggers.
- The pool and water are looking magnificent! A big thanks to the team of pool cleaners, painters and repairers, especially Peter, our volunteer pool-plant maintenance guru, who fires up the pumps every year and fine-tunes the chemicals prior to opening.
- A new team of lifeguards is in place. Thanks to Jason and Brendan for conducting interviews and finalising the selection of team members.
- The lifeguard team includes some familiar and some new faces. Amongst those who have previously been lifeguards at Brown Hill are Kate, our Manager, Jacqui, Tahlia and Sam. The new kids on the block are Josh (x2), Jai, Liam and Millie. Welcome!
- Please make the job easy for these guys and girls by good behaviour in and out of the water, tidying up after yourselves and giving them a hand in the kiosk if they need it.
- Lifeguards will keep the community updated on daily pool opening and closing times through the 'Brown Hill Community Pool' Facebook page.
- Thanks to the City of Ballarat for mowing the grounds.
- Most of the pre-season preparation is done by a fantastic team of volunteers, so a big, big thank you to all.
- This season we again have our VIC SWIM Summer Kidz Program in the mornings for two weeks starting on Monday 8 January. Places have booked out. Thanks to the Brown Hill Uniting Church and the Brown Hill Progress Association for the financial support, allowing local children over four years old to access one week of the program free of charge (valued at $30 per child).
- The Australia Day Party is on again from 12 midday on Friday 26 January, with kids' games, a free BBQ and pancakes and a lucky raffle.
- Hopefully, Flo will be back in late January and early February with Aqua Zumba in the evenings. Keep an eye on the 'Brown Hill Community Pool' Facebook pages and brownhill.vic.au for updates.
- It looks like the Eureka Pool is going to be out of action for a while, so our quiet little resort may be a bit busier than usual this season! Please respect the staff, volunteers and property.
- Remember to protect yourself and your kids. Slip, Slop, Slap over the Summer and have a super time at the pool!
The inaugural 'Toys at the pool' day
See the 'Toys at the pool' day page.
Defibrillator moves to the pool
The Brown Hill Progress Association’s defibrillator has been moved back to the pool for the Summer. There is no longer a defibrillator in the Brown Hill Public Hall.
First published in Edition 10 of the Brown Hill Community Newsletter